Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Music & Skates!!!

I got to go roller skating last night!!! It's been too many years. I'm not even entirely sure when the last time I got to go skating was. I remember making Chuck and some friends try ice skating years ago when we still lived in Ohio...so that was 6 years ago at least...and for the first few laps I was not very sure of myself, but I think it came back to me alright, as long as I didn't really need to stop very quickly. I promise I was going faster than this picture would have you believe. I just slowed to say hi to Chuck, who was not skating (although I tried to convince him):

Oaks Rink Oaks Rink

There was also live music from Lifesavas and The Thermals. Not to mention the live organ music played before and in between sets, there's a Wurlitzer suspended from the ceiling in the middle of the rink, with a glass booth for the player on the side of the rink. While we didn't get any great pictures of the band, there is a nice set from the event over on Oregon Music News and here is one from Google. This event was all thanks to Google, they are using Portland as a test city for a new service: HotPot and are having a series of events to promote it. I picked up my wristband for the next show, on the boat Portland Spirit, earlier today!

They also gave us a a cute booklet with a link to the "Best Ever Mixtape: Portland" with lots of local music, which seems to be available streaming at besteverpdx.com

Update: Google added a video from the event to their post and I found myself in it! I'm at about 0:13 to 0:14 from a little left of the middle to offscreen on the left. I couldn't find chuck though, probably cause he wasn't skating!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love skating at Oaks Park! You have to go on Sunday afternoons when they fire up the Wurlitzer. Fun!!!

Unknown said...

It was awesome! The Wurlitzer was going when we first got there and between sets, but I think will need to go back for more! I was so pleased he played a song from Cabaret.

Sara said...

wowza! Not only have you been blogging up a storm but you've been roller skating?!? Yum! That used to be my all time favorite thing. I am SO jonesing for some coasting right now!

Unknown said...

I think I've found a kinda grove with blogging lately, that and it's fun sharing our Portland exploration! Yeah, skating...I'm already anxious to go again soon!

Unknown said...

grove or groove, either way...

menna said...

شركة تعقيم عجمان
شركة تعقيم وتطهير عجمان