Thursday, March 24, 2011

Knit in Progress: Lotus Blossom Tank

Lotus in progress Lotus in progress

Pattern: Lotus Blossom Tank from The Best of Interweave Knits
Yarn: SouthWest Trading Company Bamboo in Chocolate, purchased at the Fiber Gallery in Seattle circa 2007

This is by no means my first attempt at getting the complicated lace pattern on this project going. I tried in Seattle and Chicago and quickly got lost and frustrated. This time I've got four rows already, within a week of starting it. Once I did the first one I started carrying it around with me not wanting to put it down for much of anything. (it's what I was trying to knit on transit after our walk last weekend.) It takes a lot of attention, but I also think actually getting somewhere with this lace means my knitting skills have been improving!

The pattern technically calls for only 4 repeats but many many people are doing modifications to this project, put together by LicketyKnits. That calls for at least one more repeat. If I feel like I will have enough yarn, I may even go for 6 repeats. Then she doubled the number of decreases called for in the pattern, and increases back up to give the whole thing more shaping.  But I haven't gotten to that part just yet, it starts after the lace repeats. I sorta tried to figure out how the sizing was going by trying it on (pictured right) but it's pretty hard to tell at this point.

So this project got started while I was waiting for new metal needles from knit picks, which I just got yesterday. I might take a little break from the lotus tank to play just a little with the new needles and make a few booties, but I think I'm going to try to finish it before starting any of those socks. Sorry Chuck! But I am very anxious to try all that sock yarn, so that should make me knit this faster!