Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Vegan MoFo Day 1

October is the Vegan Month of Food! I'm excited but horribly unprepared. The idea is to write about vegan food as much as possible over the course of the month. Which also means making a lot of food or at least having something more interesting than usual to blog about. Hopefully you won't be seeing too many spaghetti and tomato sauce dinners from me!
I thought I would start off by working on something I've been wanting to try to make at home for a while: Seitan. We love the packaged kind, but not so much in love with the package. Wrapped in plastic then again in a cardboard box? Not to mention is a pain to open without getting the juices allover. Then I read Isa's book (Vegan with a Vengeance, the best cookbook ever, just ask my very non-vegan dad!) and I started asking questions. Turns out Chuck's Mom used to make it regularly from scratch. So it's been something I've really wanted to try for a few years now, but since it takes some extra time compared to other recipes and is only part of what you have to do to make a meal, I just hadn't gotten around to it. Well, It's my first goal for Vegan Mofo. Currently the seitan is simmering in broth for an hour, images from right before it went into the broth are below.



In the meantime, because the timing of one of Chuck's classes and my mission to gather ingredients from the store it was pretty late. So I threw together a simple prepared food meal that we have often. Frozen Vegan Ravioli from Rising Moon Organics. We've been able to find these at most Whole Foods and they are very yummy. Here it's been simply tossed with olive oil, oregano, pepper and Vegan Parmesan. I thought it looked pretty!

Hopefully this month will bring fewer prepared foods though. I also purchased the ingredients for a yummy treat, so look for that soon! Meanwhile, you can use Google Blog Search and bloglines to find lots of great blogs tagged Vegan MoFo. I know that's what I'll be doing!

4 comments:

dandyapple said...

I to have wanted to try my hand at seitan. I have had all the stuff in my pantry for a while but haven't got to it. I am anxious to see how yours turns out. And those little raviolis are making me jealous. I live in a rural area and the closet natural foods market is about 150 miles away. My local grocery is doing better each week though.

Unknown said...

So far so good, it smells great! It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be either, just takes time. I like your blog, btw!

J. Lovelle said...

impressive Em-ster!! (Em-ster? Where did that come from?)

I want to do vegan food month! I've had fish, lamb, and ice cream today, but we can just start counting with the 3rd, right?

Unknown said...

Lol, yeah, go for it! And take pictures!