Saturday, October 4, 2008

Vegan Mofo Day #3 - Dinner by Chuck

Soba Noodles & Tempeh w/Peanut Sauce by Chuck Soba Noodles & Tempeh w/Peanut Sauce by Chuck

This is a "nothing fancy" meal that Chuck prepared last night. In fact last night he was grumbling at the fact I was photographing it, this morning at the fact that I uploaded pictures and I haven't even told him that I'm blogging about it yet! It may just be a few things thrown together: tempeh, green beans, soba noodles and a store bought peanut sauce, but it was delicious. Soba noodles are just the best something I think we should always have in our kitchen. They have so much flavor and are really good for you. Plus they make it pretty easy to throw together a quick meal that is just fantastic.

Of course when it comes to throwing together a meal, Chuck is much better at that than I am. I tend to cook directly from the cookbooks. I have a bad habit of getting flustered when I've forgotten an ingredient or can't find something obscure. I probably cook less often than Chuck does because of this mainly, and the fact that when I do cook I pick some outlandish and difficult meal with obscure ingredients. It reminds me a little of our hike up to a lookout by Mt. Baker. I struggled on the way up (drank all our water, claimed I was going to die, wanted to turn back 80% of the way up...something like that.) and Chuck was exhausted on the way down. Meanwhile I was practically skipping and shouting about how it smelled like blueberries. We have different approaches and inclinations, but in the end I think his style has influenced me to be a little more laid back in the kitchen. Especially recently I've been more willing to improvise than ever before. And I'm willing to credit Chuck with that.

4 comments:

ambika said...

Ooo, this is a great reminder. I haven't made yaki soba in ages.

Jeni Treehugger said...

Looks fancy to me - looks blinking yummy too.
:)

dandyapple said...

Yum. Why oh why haven't they invented smell-o-vision, yet?

Tami (Vegan Appetite) said...

That looks hearty and wonderful!