Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Vegan Mofo: Coffee Cake with Prunes

Coffee Cake with Prunes Coffee Cake with Prunes

I have been looking for an interesting use for those gorgeous prunes we picked up at the market since last week. Shortly after we got them I saw this post (from Naked Vegan Lunch) in the Vegan Mofo rss feed about Hungarian Plum Dumplings. I was seriously considering trying those out right away, but I'm not sure how I feel about potato dough. Maybe another time, plenty of plums still showing up at the markets and I think I may still be intrigued. (As a side note, I've been keeping track of my favorite vegan mofo posts over on Pintrest, which you can see here.)

Then I was just googling, trying to decide what to do and streusels came up, which reminded me of the amazing Cafe Flora Coffee Cake that I hadn't tried to cook up for a long time. While we lived in Seattle I think we tried to each as much of their coffee cake as possible. Anyway, used the recipe from the Cafe Flora Cookbook which has several suggestions for variations of fruits. So I went with Italian prunes and a bit of cinnamon. The prunes were chopped into small chunks in the dough, and I sliced a few to put on top as well. Unfortunately, I am not so sure what I was thinking/doing when I made the crumbly topping, because I used too much margarine. But we saved it. It still tastes amazing, even if it's slightly mushier than it was supposed to be. I certainly don't mind having an excuse to make the coffee cake again in the near future, since it was the main recipe that convinced us we had to have this cookbook!

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Prunes and coffee cake together at last! Love it! Making it. <3 Thanks for sharing. =)