Thursday, January 8, 2009

Probably getting ahead of myself but...

After making my Dad's Birthday Scarf last month I decided to make something similar for myself. The rigidity of the scarf due to the cables seems like the perfect protection for Chicago wind. And it's still soft. So in my last bit of stashing for a while (during a 20% off sale at Loopy Yarns) I grabbed a few balls of the cotton yarn I used, this time in blue. While I was thrilled with my quick Karaoke Cable Scarf project, it's just a little to skinny for serious use.




Anyway until just recently I thought I had it figured out. I was going to make another awesome pattern from SmarieK who designed the Bernadette Cable Scarf I made my dad. I figured I might make the Miranda Scarf, which is only slightly different, that way it would be likely to have a similar propensity to protect from wind. Then I thought it might the fun to challenge myself with another choice by SmarieK, the Marjke Scarf. Now to make matters even worse I found two more fun patterns from different sources, and these have all been added to my queue. The Antler's Scarf from Son of a Stitch'n'Bitch and the Secret Admirer Scarf from Half-Assed Patterns. And I have to admit I'm really drawn to those last two because of their subtle geekiness...I can't help but think the antler scarf bears a striking resemblance to a Klingon forehead, and the secret admirer scarf spells out I love you in binary, which is too much fun. Now I don't know for sure what I'll knit, or probably more accurately what I will knit first...

Of course the whole thing is moot for now since I am in knitting debt to my boyfriend. Today I finished one of his Christmas gifts, a pair of gray socks. That just leaves his sweater and the items I decided would be birthday gifts a scarf and and hat. And I haven't started the hat yet.

No comments: