Sunday, October 3, 2010

Something Blue for South Carolina

Next weekend my good friend in South Carolina is getting married! So I'll be flying across the country again, this time without my cat. (Lucy seems to be doing great, by the way, very playful and all that fur they shaved off for the surgery, IV, abscess, etc...well, it's slowly coming back.) I'll be gone for most of next week. With grad school and all our moves I haven't had a chance to visit her out there yet, so I'm looking forward to seeing her & getting to know her city, and hopefully I'll be able to lend a hand to some last minute wedding preparation too.

Seascape Stole

On that note I've just finished a knitting project, which I'll be giving her, the Seascape Stole by Kieran Foley from Knitty, Summer 2008. The yarn I used, which was pretty completely different from the yarn called for in the pattern (I'd love to find a good vegan yarn that does something like what mohair does...), was Tahki Cotton Classic Lite. I was looking for something in a nice wedding blue, which I could afford to purchase enough yarn in and could pick up locally, so this ended up being the best option. Ideally I might have waited to find a lace weight yarn instead of a sport weight, but I figured since this was sort of a scarf/rectangle I had some leeway. Now that it's off the needles I'm more optimistic about the results and I still have to give it a good blocking.

Seascape Stole Seascape Stole

I'll definately be knitting more Kieran Foley in the future. I got a start on Cold Mountain once which didn't end up taking off for whatever reason. This pattern was a little simpler and perhaps a better place to start.