Monday, January 14, 2008

Etsy's Shop Local & Poster Sketch Tools


Around the beginning of December I talked to my parents a bit about Winterfair. It's an annual juried show in Columbus, Ohio. When I still lived there I went every single year that I can remember (probably more.) Anyway I think it was my dad that commented that they were still seeing a lot of the same artists every year. He said it was pretty interesting to see how they had matured and developed their style over the years, but it really is a crowd of older artists. Since I'm in EtsyRain, and crafting is seeing a resurgence lately, my Dad is aware that there are lots of younger artisans out there, even in Columbus, OH. Since I'm not around anymore, it's hard for me to keep tabs on which venues you can go to for spotting the younger crowd. I recently became aware of a shop on High Street (the main stretch of Columbus) called Wholly Craft. Unfortunately I didn't quite have time for a visit when I was back in town at Christmas. Anyway, since Etsy posted this great new searching tool Shop Local I've been meaning to use it to find out more about Columbus Artisans. Today I threw some of what I found in to the Poster Sketch you see here.




Secondly, I work in an architecture firm, so does my boyfriend and most people I know. Today my boyfriend's firm was doing a little cleaning and he asked me if I wanted any of the plastic laminate samples they were getting rid of. Inspired by the way Sara of Rekoj Design used them to display her pendants I said yes. Not sure what I'll do with them yet, but I'm working on figuring that out. For inspiration I searched etsy. I only found about half a poster worth, but I'm feeling insipred. I particularly like the necklace by Iheartmies (ahem, architect!) and the way gadgetgirl printed on them for keychains!

No comments: