Monday, May 10, 2010

Lemon Bars!

Lemon Bar Lemon Bar
I can't really see or think of a lemon bar without thinking of my Mom. Since we got a copy of Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar around Christmas this year I've been wanting to try to make these. (Also really want to try the Vegan Samoa cookies!) Mother's day was a good reason to try this out. It was actually easier than I thought it would be. Agar agar and arrowroot help make the top layer jiggly. I sent my parents home with a box full of slices, otherwise we would've just eaten them all ourselves!

Since I have it in my cupboard now, I think sometime soon I will use the leftover Agar agar and make the macaroni & cashew cheese from the real food daily cookbook. Chuck, I think, has his own version of macaroni and cheese figured out, which is pretty good. But this is cashew cheese, so it should be somewhat different. And I don't often have the agar agar on hand, since it is a little expensive. I am also pleased since I think the farmer's markets here in Chicago should be starting up this week, so perhaps I can go pick up some fresh vegetables to go on the side!

No comments: