Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Sullivan Center

This is the Sullivan Center, better known as the Carson Pirie Scott building by Louis Sullivan. Of course this photo, being from all the way back in 2000, doesn't quite do it Justice. It is one of my favorite buildings here in Chicago but unfortunately since we moved here in 2008 it's pretty much been covered by scaffolding. Which is good, in a general sense, since it means it was having some work done so it can continue to be used even after the original company moved out. But it also meant that I felt a little sad every time I passed it and could not see Sullivan's amazing detailing at the main entrance.

Now that it is free I will have to stop by and get some much better pictures of it. Pictures that weren't taken as quickly as possible as we tried to see everything we could on our first ever visit to Chicago. We had driven up from our hometown, Columbus, OH. And I suppose we were still both architecture undergrads at the time. It was a long time ago, and certainly looks it from the photos of us, which I probably won't be posting any time soon.