Monday, June 6, 2011

Kenton Street Fair

I've been falling way behind in my posts! A few weekends ago we headed over to the Kenton Street Fair on Sunday afternoon. I didn't really know much about the neighborhood or fair beforehand, which seemed like a really good reason to make our way out there.

Bunyan

The Kenton neighborhood is home to a big Paul Bunyan Statue, pictured above. He greeted us right when we got off the train. It was built in 1959 as part of the Oregon Centennial celebrations, and added to the National Register of Historic Places recently, in 2009. Amusingly, he's facing this sign. We spotted a crowd of paul bunyans at the Salvage Works & I later found out that was all part of the festivities.

Kenton Street Fair Yarn Car! at the Kenton Street Fair

Music, crafts and fancy cars. Of course my favorite was the Yarn car, a car carefully covered in strands of yarn. It was a nice set of blue colors too, and the vanity plate even said "yarncar." Of course I was there for the crafts, and I was smitten with a bag right when we walked in to the fair. After perusing the whole event, I decided it was my favorite thing there and I had to have it. (Even though we strolled through the fair twice, that's still pretty impulsive compared to my usual shopping style.) It was from Zig & Hersh, & looks much like this one except it's a mossy Portland green. I've been carrying it ever since!

No comments: